Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Sunday Dinner - Skinny Chicken Enchiladas

Well I'm a day late with my Sunday dinner but at least I have photos this time!

I used Skinny Taste's Skinny Chicken Enchiladas with a few modifications.  As always, I would suggest going to the linked address and follow her recipe, I am not a food blogger, I'm just sharing ideas and what worked for me.

I spent some time last week plugging in my old Chicken Enchilada recipe into My Fitness Pal to get the calorie count and I got it down to just under 500 calories, which isn't bad, another 90 calories for rice, still not horrible but I decided I would just try Skinny Taste's recipe, for 194 calories an enchilada, I could have 2!

After changing a couple things around and running out of chicken filling for my 8th enchilada, I had to adjust the calories.  I'll explain how that happened below.

Ingredients:

For the enchilada sauce:

2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce - comes in a can. I only used 1 tbsp because commenters were complaining it was too hot. Next time I don't think I'll use these at all, it's kind of wasteful.
1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder - I used regular chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

For the chicken:

1 tsp vegetable oil
8.5 oz cooked shredded chicken breast - I used a Costco rotisserie chicken
1 cup diced onion
2 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro
salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chipotle chili powder - I used regular chili powder
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce

For the enchilada:

8 (7-inch) low-carb whole wheat flour tortillas (la tortilla factory) - I used regular soft taco tortilla (8 inches)
1 cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese - I couldn't find low fat so I used regular Mexican cheese
non-stick cooking spray

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil (This took a little while and then exploded on my shirt). Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 7 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat the vegetable oil (I needed extra oil so I used my spray) in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. (I missed the directions and tried to cook the onions on low. I guess you preheat on medium high then turn it to low when you add the onions. It's still going to take longer than 2 minutes, maybe 5, test a piece of onion to make sure it's cooked). Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it. (I measured out 1/3 cup and ran out of filling after the 7th enchilada so I only had 7 enchiladas, if you really want 8 I would not pack firmly like I did). Place on baking dish seam side down, top with the sauce and the cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Makes 8 enchiladas.


So mine only made 7 plus I used different tortillas and cheese so I had to enter everything into My Fitness Pal.  Mine came out to 292 calories per enchilada.  I served with Zatarain's Spanish Rice for 90 calories for 1/2 cup.  I like to load on shredded lettuce for crunch.

Here's how they turned out:



This will definitely be our go to recipe for Chicken Enchiladas from here on out.  Thanks Skinny Taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment