Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Overwhelming

I'm pretty overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the weight I need to lose.  I knew it was bad but it wasn't until I lost my first 10 pounds that it really hit me.  It's overwhelming.  And this is why I haven't posted my weight, nor really how much weight I want to lose.  I think seeing that number is just too much for me.

For me, I think I have to look at it as a series of goals.  Obviously each 10 pounds is a goal.  Going into a new weight digit is a goal: 230s, 220s, etc.  Weekly weight-loss is a goal.  Onederland is a goal.  Going down a clothing size is a goal.  If you look at it in tiny pieces I think it becomes more doable and less overwhelming.

It's good to have long term goals.  I want to climb this stupid mountain in the Adirondacks called Panther Mountain.  I climbed it once before many years ago and cried when we reached the top.  That makes it sound like it's a tough mountain but people take their kids hike this mountain.  We were passing by 7 year olds skipping down the year I went up.  It's not supposed to be hard but it is.  It is for me.  Ever year Brian mentions climbing it again and I'm like no way.  But not this year, this year I want to do it.  I have to lose weight to be able to do it.  That's a long term goal.  I have to be consistent to make that happen.

But mostly it's the short term.  Losing 10 pounds should make me happy and proud, not overwhelmed.  So when I woke up the next day I was happy about it.  I don't see it as  I have to do that X more times, I just see it as I did it another day and a series of days resulted in losing 10 pounds.  Then I look to the next goal and try to make that happen.

Lose 2 pounds this week (it's not the end of the world if I don't, it's just a goal), keep getting out of this digit, get closer to Onederland, get closer to losing a dress size.  Wear the size 18 green dress for our Christmas party.  Wear the golden dress I could never fit into for our Oscar party.

Every day is a step and you put all the steps together to get somewhere.

8 comments:

  1. "Every day is a step..." is the best way to look at it, isn't it? Rather than getting overwhelmed with the big picture, breaking it down into manageable goals is the best option. I'm looking forward to hearing about your Panther Mountain climb!

    One day at a time. I haven't lost any weight, but I'm working on eating better, watching portion sizes, and getting more exercise. Your suggestion about upping my MFP calorie count to 1500 was a good one...it's more realistic for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, glad I could help.

      Delete
  2. It's like running a marathon. If you look at the whole race at the starting line (or look at your training plan) you freak out. I coach running and what I tell my clients is not to look ahead. Look at TODAY'S workout-- or... run the mile you are in. Do not worry or think about the next mile or the next workout until you are DOING it. Same same. Just worry about today and today's calories.
    I'm rooting for you!!
    --Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is perfect.

      Delete
  3. I needed to hear this. It is very overwhelming if you look at the big picture. My goal right now is to get to 10 pounds. I'm hoping to reach that goal tomorrow. Then I will start on the next 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! You probably already did, I'm late getting my comment replies up.

      Delete
  4. I suppose the way I look at this, instead of focusing on the number, I think how I will feel physically with losing weight. I have lots to lose but when I lose even 20 lbs, I know I feel so much different and hopeful. I also remember how I felt when I have reached my goal weight when I was really focused on that number, and to be honest-it was anticlimactic.

    Focusing on how I feel rather then numbers is much more satisfying to me. It sounds like you feel the same, about fitting into certain clothes-that really has nothing to do with scale numbers but with the size of your body. I have learned that body size and weight actually can vary widely-the size I used to be at a certain weight, not any longer!

    I'm down 17 lbs from when I started, and have a long way to go-but it feels good to be doing SOMETHING, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've kind of taken this on to be like a job, it's my profession to put everything I have into this.

      Delete