Monday, October 26, 2015

A Lighter Chicken Alfredo - Sunday Dinner

dinner recreation


Well, I forgot to take a photo of my dinner creation.  And I gave the left overs to my mom so I couldn't even make something up later.  I decided to recreate the dinner using Polyvore so you could get and idea.

For the Skinny Alfredo I used  Gimme Some Oven's Recipe with a few tweaks.

ingredients:


  • 1 pound package of fettuccine
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (I used minced garlic in a jar, very handy)
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
  • slightly less than 1 cup freshly-grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (get from the cheese section of the grocery store and grate it yourself)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Start cooking the pasta according to package directions, in salted water.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and saute one minute stirring frantically with a silicone whisk until fragrant. Add flour in parts, and stir to combine in between. Saute for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring.
Slowly add chicken broth, whisking to combine until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let cook for an additional minute or so until thickened, then stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until the cheese melted. Reduce heat to medium-low until the pasta is ready.
Have your husband drain the pasta because you are still stirring, then immediately add pasta to the saute pan with Alfredo sauce. Toss to combine.
I highly recommend following Gimme's instructions over mine but this is what I'll say about cooking this recipe.  I used my skillet to cook a lot of chicken and then cleaned the pan and started the Alfredo.  My pan was too hot and when I added the garlic it started to immediately scorch.  I dumped it (because overcooked garlic is a big no-no) and started over.  I considered adding the garlic after the sauce was made but I was afraid it wouldn't be cooked enough.  So I was just careful with the garlic, I added it and removed the pan from heat while I stirred it.
Also, when you add the cheese you are going to be certain it's not enough cheese but it is.  You do not need to add extra cheese.  Gimme used 3/4 cups, I used slightly less than a cup because I was serving 5 people and used a whole box of noodles.  I had plenty of sauce and it tasted fine, it was very very good.
With the small changes, my servings were six. Five people ate and there were left overs for one.  With the added pasta and slightly more cheese divided by six, I came up with 372 calories per serving for the pasta and Alfredo.
Served with the pasta I pan fried with a little olive oil the thin sliced chicken breasts.  I did them 2 at the time and sprinkled them with a little Montreal Chicken seasoning and basically seared each side for a couple of minutes.  I put them in the toaster oven set on low to keep warm like you would pancakes.  Each 3 oz chicken was 140 calories.
We also had a simple side salad and garlic bread.  I was careful with the garlic bread because 2 1/4 inch slice was 180 calories.  I had a 1 inch slice for 72 calories.
Brian bought the Olive Garden Italian dressing from Costco yesterday so I very sparingly added dressing to my salad. 2 tablespoons was 80 calories.  It was delicious.
My total dinner was 664 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment